Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Bula Vinaka

There are trips intended for exploration, and there are holidays intended for relaxation.

I've been lots of places this year and I always felt like I had to keep going and make the most of the places I was lucky enough to visit. Tours, lots of walking and visiting all the "must-see" places.

So 14 years after living in Fiji I have ventured back.

That blast of hot air as you walk off the plane immediately brought back memories!

Went straight from the plane to a cruise ship which departed two hours after I landed.

 

The beauty of a cruise ship is that you actually don't have many options for what you do. Get off the ship onto an island to swim or snorkel- each one more beautiful than the last, or stay on the ship.

I've read more fiction books in 4 days than I think I've read in the last two years, even though I love reading. Thank goodness for Kindle eliminating the need to carry heavy books with you, although I might run out of downloaded books before I get back to NZ, I can always go online and purchase more.

(drinking kava)

And I've swum more I'm the last four days than I've swum in the last four years. This heat makes any wariness about donning togs in public pretty negligible!

Today we visited an island with a cave system. Climbed the cliff face ( ok the company has made some lovely concrete steps which make climbing the cliff face easy!) and jumped into the cold water- much colder than the sea, but refreshing none the less! No sign of Brooke Shields still in the cave though!

So after the first night where I might have had the dubious pleasure of being the first, and maybe only, person to get seasick enough to actually be sick and wonder exactly why I'd set myself up for 7 nights of this, it's certainly become a very relaxing break.

There's still a lot of the world to explore and I wouldn't want to spend every holiday doing nothing but reading and swimming but it's certainly refreshing after a year of hard work and long hours and reviving for the year to come.

 

 

Three more days on the ship and then three days in Fiji where hopefully I might be able to track down a few old friends., enjoy some familiar sights and the wonderful Fijian hospitality.

 

 

1 comment: